These Lemon Confetti Cookies are fun, brightly coloured and are guaranteed to make you smile. They are the perfect bake to enjoy, especially if you have little ones at home.
The cookies are soft and chewy with a citrusy twist. If you don’t have any lemons in the house, why not try it with oranges or limes? Both would work so well.
You can use any sprinkles in this but if you really want the sprinkles to hold their shape you need to check if they are bake safe. Please don’t stress over this though as they are harder to source and any sprinkles will give you the beautiful colours.
If you have time, I would recommend letting your cookie dough sit in the fridge for 30 minutes once you have formed it into the balls. It isn’t essential but I have found that the cookies spread and bake much more evenly if you do.
- 110g Butter
- 180g plain flour
- 130g sugar (100g for cookies, 30g to roll in)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 egg yolk
- Zest of two lemons
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 40g sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and 100g of the sugar until light and fluffy. Take your time here, the more aerated you get it at this stage the better your cookies will be. Add in the egg yolk, vanilla and lemon zest and continue to mix until fully combined.
- To the flour add the bicarb, baking powder and salt and stir through.
- In small batches add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and fold in. If needed add the tablespoon of milk to bring the dough together. Add in the sprinkles and combine.
- Form your cookies into balls (I use an icecream scoop for size) and roll in the remaining sugar.
- If you have time leave to chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. Using the back of a tablespoon, slightly flatten the dome of your cookies.
- Place the cookies on a lined baking tray, leaving space between them. Bake in the oven for 9-11 minutes. They should just be turning brown but still pale, you do not want to over bake these so keep an eye on them!
- Remove from the oven, attempt to let cool and enjoy!
If you make these Lemon Confetti Cookies, let us know as we would love to see a picture! If you are looking for something to do while the dough chills in the fridge, why not head over to our blog and have a read!